The Constitution of the Japanese Society of Undergraduates
Issued on 1st of May, 2011.
Amended on 22nd of November, 2011.
Article I : Purpose
- The purpose of the Japanese Society of Undergraduates is to increase awareness of Japanese life and culture among both Japanese and non-Japanese students at MIT.
Article II : Membership
- Any member of the MIT community is eligible to become a member of this organization. One is considered a member of this organization in any given academic term if he or she has attended at least one club activity and is on the mailing list (email@example.com).
- The membership of the organization will contain at all times at least five (5) MIT students, and more than half will be MIT students.
- This organization will not discriminate based on any characteristic listed in MIT's Nondiscrimination Statement.
- If this organization charges any monetary dues, there will be exceptions made for students that cannot afford these dues.
Article III : Officers
- This organization will have at least two officers:
- The president shall be the official representative of the group to any other organization and to MIT.
- The president will preside over all meetings.
- The president is responsible for determining when meetings are and publicizing this to the group.
- Vice President
- The vice president shall assist the president, and shall concurrently serve as the secretary.
- The treasurer shall be responsible for the finances of the group.
- The treasurer is required to sign all checks/vouchers of the group.
- All officers of this organization must be distinct persons and MIT students.
- Elections of officers for the upcoming school year shall occur in May.
- Any member of this organization is eligible to run for office.
- Quorum for elections is two thirds of the group.
- Any member is elected if he or she wins a majority of the voting members.
- If more than two people are running and no one wins a majority, then the person with the fewest votes is dropped from the ballot and votes are recast.
- The term of office runs from June till until May.
- Removal: Officers may be removed by a two thirds vote of the members.
Article IV : Meetings
- Meetings shall be held at least every month.
- Meetings shall be presided over by the president, unless he or she is absent, and in that case the treasurer shall preside.
- All decisions shall be made by a majority vote of all members present.
- Quorum for a meeting shall be one quarter of the members of the organization.
Article V : Amendments
- Amendments shall be presented by any member of the organization.
- Amendments shall be passed by a two thirds voted of the members present.
- Quorum for amending this constitution shall be one third of all members of the organization.
Article VI : ASA Governance Clause
- The Japanese Society of Undergraduates agrees to abide by the rules and regulations of the Association of Student Activities, and its executive board. This constitution, amendments to it, and the by-laws of this organization shall be subject to review by the ASA Executive Board to insure that they are in accordance with the aforementioned rules and regulations.
Article VII : Amendment Record
- Transferred the Article 3 Clause 2 “Treasurer” to Clause 3, and defined “Vice President” in Clause 2. (1st General Body Meeting on 22nd of November, 2011)